Thanks to all who attended my seminar at the Create Conference today – ‘What is social media, and why should I care’? As promised, here are 15+ resources to learn more about social media. It’s certainly not a definitive list – consider it more of a collection of interesting resources I’ve discovered over the past 12 months:
- The history and evolution of social media. Excellent article exploring how social media evolved, and the different ways social media has been and is being used.
- Social media in Plain English – a great explanatory video for the tech-novices, from the inspiring folk at Common Craft.
- Social Media Counts – a visual ‘counter’ illustrating how much new social media content is generated, in real-time.
- The Social Media Guide – lots of interesting posts on social media.
- 5 Ways Social Media is Changing Our Daily Lives – I don’t want to overstate its importance, but social media is changing our lives in lots of ways.
- Twitter Guidebook – Mashable has put together a helpful guide to Twitter.
- 19 Twitter desktop apps compared – if you’ve decided Twitter is for you, check out different platforms for tweeting.
- 10 Twitter tools for effectively managing your followers – this one is perhaps for the more advanced (obsessed?) users.
- 10 things social media can’t do – it’s always good to keep some perspective! For fun, check out 10 things you need to stop tweeting about!
- Compassion using Twitter to get kids sponsored – a post I wrote about an innovative use of Twitter.
- 101 social media sites – a good list, plus check out the top 25.
- Responding to the internet revolution – two compelling videos with some mind-boggling stats on the use of social media.
- Top 10 most popular social media sites in Australia – plus lots of other interesting links.
- 15 ways for churches (and ministries) to use Twitter – the fourth most popular post on Communicate Jesus!
- How to organise an event on Facebook – another helpful guide by Mashable. Check out their collection of social media lists and resources.
Have you come across other resources that you’ve found helpful? Share them with us!