Last week we gave all the members of church access to Elvanto, and they can now see when they are serving, indicate when they’re unavailable to serve, update their contact details and access an online member directory.
Two benefits to providing an online directory
- Enable members to contact each other (without going via the church office).
- Keep information current. The problem with a printed directory is that as soon as a paper directory is printed, it’s out of date. You don’t want to print a new directory any time someone joins the church!
Two important principles
- No one should be in the directory unless they have explicitly requested it. There’s good reasons why people might not want to be in the directory, so members must request access in order to be in it (rather than requiring members to opt-out).
- If you’re not in it, you can’t see it. We also thought that it’s only right for people to have access to the directory if they are in it.
Elvanto makes it easy to create a variety of access permissions so that different people can see and edit different things.
We created 2 types of access permissions for members:
- Allowing all members to update their details, indicate their availability, view the roster and more, and
- All of the above, plus access to the member directory.
Band members will also soon have access to the songs.
Here’s how the permissions look:
Member Directory permissions