I believe that all Christians desire to live godly lives, but many lack clarity about what this looks like in the everyday.
In my experience, Bible teaching often provides important exhortations and broad-sweeping calls to obedience, for example:
- “Trust God.”
- “Love your wife.”
- “Tell your friends about Jesus.”
- “Use your gifts for God’s glory.”
- “Be in the world, but not of the world.”
But it’s often unclear about what it looks like to do actually do these things. Often, the next level of detail is missing – to connect truth with today.
This is my entirely subjective list of areas I believe that many Christians would benefit from more practical teaching and guidance.
- How do I pray?
- How do I have a quiet time?
- How do I choose a spouse?
- How do I trust God when life is hard?
- How do I invite a friend to church?
- How do I set godly priorities?
- How do I be a wise steward of money?
- How much money do I give to church/elsewhere?
- How do I raise children who love the Lord?
- How do I discover and use the gifts God has given me?
- How do I deal with persistent sin in my life?
- How do I live as a godly man/woman?
- How do I live as a godly husband/wife?
- How do I live as a to be a godly father/mother?
- How do I care for a friend who is struggling with mental illness?
- How do I care for a friend who is backsliding?
- How do I publicly respond to cultural challenges (e.g. Safe Schools, same-sex marriage)?
- How do I lovingly engage with friends who don’t share the same worldview?
- How do I love my children who are wandering from the faith?
- How do I choose a church, and know when to leave a church?
- How do I know if I’m maturing in the faith?
What would you add or remove?