There are a number of ways you can create a church website. You can:
- Code it from scratch, or
- Find a template that works with an existing platform (e.g. from WP for Church), or
- Use a page builder (e.g. Elementor, Beaver Builder) to create your own theme, or
- Try to customise an ‘off the shelf' theme from one of the big DIY website builders (e.g. Weebly, Wix, Squarespace), or
- Sign up with a provider that specialises in building church websites.
Several years ago when I first research church website providers the pool was small and the quality variable.
However, as I have looked again more recently I discovered 29 church website providers offering both design and functionality that has come a long way in the last 5 years.
The increase in options is a good thing – but how do you choose the provider for your church website?
To help you, I have created a 40-point comparison of 16 church website providers using Airtable. It provides a side-by-side comparison of each provider and its:
- Platform (e.g. custom, WordPress)
- Fees (setup and on-going)
- Integrations (e.g. Google Analytics, Church Community Builder, Tithe.ly)
- Features (e.g. events calendar, podcasts, blog, sermon library)
- Support (e.g. phone, email, chat)
Once you have clarity on what makes a church website great and have worked hard to understand your audience and their needs, you can use this comparison to help you choose the church website provider that best meets your needs (and budget).
The Comparison Process
After researching church website providers and identifying the key criteria to compare, I contacted the 29 providers and invited them to complete a survey to confirm their details.
16 church website providers completed the survey
I'd like to thank each of these companies for their participation in this comparison, and recognise the great work they are doing serving churches around the world.
- Church Plant Media
- Church Edit
- Clover Sites
- Digital Faith
- Mere Agency
- Ministry Designs
- One Wheel Marketing
- The Church Co
Each of these providers is included in the comparison and was a sent a link to double-check their details before this article was published.
9 church website providers didn't complete the survey
While not included in the comparison, they are listed here to give you the full picture of available providers.
- Build a Church Website
- Collision Media
- Ministry Builder
- Outreach Websites
- Simple Church Websites
Of course, they are welcome to respond in future and the comparison will be updated accordingly. If a provider is missing, please add their details in the comments and they will be followed up.
Did you know…
- Impressions about a website (and the organisation or church) are formed in the first 50 milliseconds?
- More people visit websites from mobile devices (52.64%) than desktop computers?
- On average, people only read one quarter of text on a page?
There are some compelling statistics about how people use websites that should guide the design and content of our church websites today. Next week I will share with you 20 of these statistics, plus the implications for churches. Subscribe to receive this resource: